The DC Code Officials Association (DCCOA) is a professional organization for active building code officials in Washington DC. Originally started in 2011, it is the Washington DC Chapter of the International Code Council (ICC). Core membership comprises DC-government employees associated with building (and zoning) code enforcement, and individuals actively involved in the DCRA Third Party Program. In most cases, these individuals will be involved in building plan review, building inspections, and related activities. Broader participation of interested parties, including architects, engineers, contractors, developers, and others interested in improving code enforcement in DC, is warmly invited.
The District of Columbia Code Officials Association (DCCOA) is an affiliated chapter of the International Code Council (ICC) and shall promote its purposes.
- Promote safety to life, health, and property through the education and training of individuals involved in the administration, enforcement, and development of the Washington DC Construction Codes and all related ordinances, as well as the broader International Construction Codes code development process.
- Promote the protection of life and property and greater uniformity of codes through coordination with the greater District of Columbia area development, building and inspection departments & interests;
- Foster a better public understanding and appreciation for the proper administration of development and building codes and all related ordinances and their importance to the health, safety, welfare, and prosperity of municipalities and counties;
- Improve the professionalism of Building Officials and related Code Enforcement Officials by the promotion of high standards of efficiency in the administration and development of building codes and all related ordinances through continuous education and training;
- Promote uniform interpretations and enforcement of development and construction codes by meeting with other government officials and organized groups concerned with development and building codes and all related ordinances to exchange ideas and discuss mutual problems; and
- Develop courses of instruction singularly or in cooperation with recognized educational institutions to promote consistent interpretations, enforcement, and administration of development and building codes and all related ordinances.
You can find the by-laws of the District of Columbia Code Officials Association (DCCOA) online at: DCCOA’s By-Laws